Monday, January 30, 2006

Trucker Bomb


We headed up to Michigan to visit family and friends on Sunday the 22nd at about 3 p.m. Other then raining for the first four hours of driving it was pretty uneventful. Until we drove over the Indiana border. It was about 10 p.m. and Beth was passing a Werner truck. With no regard for anyone's safety the trucker driver threw his jug of urine (a.k.a. Trucker Bomb) out his window and hit our car. It cracked the windshield, rolled over and took out the driver's side mirror and scratched up the driver's side door. Altogether it seems to have done about $1000 worth of damage. After getting all the information off the back of the truck we called the State Police and had an inncident report written up about it. The Officer was not very hopeful that anything could be done about it. When we arrived in Michigan at about 4 a.m. we got a few hours of sleep and then I called Werner to find out what their response to this would be. The lady in Insurance was very helpful and told me to take some pictures and get two estimates and that a claims adjuster would be calling me to get this taken care of. I didn't hear anything from them until the following Saturday when we arrived back in Memphis. They mailed me a letter saying to give Emily Rosenvold a call at my earliest convience. Emily, while not calling me a liar, said that they really can't do anything if the driver denies the incident. She said they are still looking into it and he hasn't responded to her inquries. I asked her why in the world would he admit to doing it, and she said that she doubted he would. And I should probably just contact my insurance company because it is his word against mine.

Feel free to run any Werner Trucks off the road, and be sure to always call the "How Am I Driving" numbers on the back (1-888-Werner) and let them know when they do ANYTHING wrong.

My insurance company is now handling the claim and they are going to go after Werner for the $500 deductible. If they can't collect I will have to pay for it myself.

8 comments:

rudi said...

The one time you guys take Beth's car anywhere and this happens. That really sucks that Werner will not take care of it. At least its not your Lexus, like I originally thought it was.

Rich said...

You say the word Jon… We can launch an attack!! I’ve already done a little research on Werner Enterprises and they don’t have a great track (road) record.. I too have been the victim of a trucker bomb.. Except, in my case, it didn’t involve a truck, bottle, or a car and the only damage was to my pride, oh and the stinging sensation in my eyes..

Also, I think your damage estimate is low. (Kinda like your estimate on the Lexus) How can you begin to put a value on rare parts for a late 90’s mint condition (discontinued) Oldsmobile Alero 2 door with remote start and less the 40,000 miles?

BoxcatAV said...

The Alero has less than 40,000 miles?!

I don't understand why these truckers don't just throw their bomb away at a rest stop.

Jon said...

The Alero has just over 46,000 miles on it. Not bad for a 7 year old car.

Anonymous said...

I would call LEE FREE

Sherry

Dan said...

I would collect DNA evidence from the front of your car and have Werner submit a DNA sample from the driver to see if they match

Rich said...

How's the Alero doing?

Anonymous said...

Bullcr#p about trucker bombs . That stuff has to be cracked down on . Something has do be done about the whole trucking industry in general, for at least safety sake. On the same note, I don't advise 'running truckers off the road'. Semi's have the potential of doing millions of $$'s of damage and easily killing dozens in an accident .

Of course the obvious answer is Dans suggestion . It would be cool if all truckers had their urine on file and if a trucker bomb was found with their DNA , they'd get their cdl suspended .:)