Saturday, November 03, 2007

Number Three

Two weeks ago during our annual termite inspection, the inspector told us that he thought he saw a rat in the crawl space, either that or it could have been a snake. Neither sounded that good to me. He suggested that I go buy some rat poison and throw it in there.
On Tuesday when I got home from Las Vegas, I smelled a horrible odor in the back bedroom. Apparently when rats eat poison they do not head out to the woods to die. The next day I opened up the door to the crawl space, threw up a little in my mouth from the smell and sure enough there was a dead rat. Being the manly man I am, I waited until Beth got home from work and gave her a shovel and a rake to drag the rat out of the crawl space. I did the hard work digging the grave. Libby and I ran in the house as the rat was being brought from the house to the grave.
The smell in the house is now 90% gone.
During our first nine years of marriage living in Michigan we had zero interactions with dead rats, in the last 2 1/2 years living in Memphis we have had three.
I guess that is three more reasons to move out of Memphis.

3 comments:

rudi said...

Apparently mice have invaded our house since we left. I might be looking to borrow one of Anne's (many) cats for a while.

Hoekzema said...

You win with the rats! In our year in Philadelphia we had about 10 mice and a whole lot of ants, but no rats. We did manage to house a small population of squirrels though under the roof of our porch though.

Anonymous said...

http://www.shelbycountytn.gov/FirstPortal/dotShowDoc/Government/CountyServices/HealthServices/EnvironmentalHealth/vector_ctrlindex.htm