Friday, August 12, 2005

Baby Update

Beth had an OB appointment today at 10:45 and being the good husband I am, I was going to wait til after the appointment to drive up to Lansing for my last week of work. After the ultrasound we waited in the examination room for what seemed like forever. Dr. Miller came in (Dr. Keegan was on vacation so this was our first time meeting Dr. Miller) and told us there is a good chance they would have to deliver the baby today! Now, I am VERY excited about being a Dad for the first time and I can't wait to meet my daughter, BUT I was shocked and almost wet myself at the thought of it happening TODAY. Doc Miller said that she wanted to talk to a perinatologist and double check her findings. The perinatologist asked that we come right over to his office to have a cord doplar done to check the blood flow from the umbilical cord into the baby. Everything was fine, but since Beth's fluids were on the low side of normal, the baby is in the 10th percentile in size, and breech they would like to do a C-section in two weeks on a Tuesday. Beth was suppose to take her internal medicine board exams that day, which she had been studying for for the past year (4 years if include all of residencey). We had already plunked down $1000 for the exam which of course is non-refundable and they only give the test once a year. So Beth mentioned this to the Doc to see if waiting two more days would be at all detrmental to the baby. He said that it should be fine, but we would have to come in every 3 days for more ultrasounds to make sure the everything was ok, and if at anytime things looked rocky, they would have to do an emergencey C-section. So all is good.

By the way it is amazing what better treatment Doctors get when they go to see another Doctor. He noticed Beth was hungray and went into the staff room to get her a cookie. A few months ago Beth was having chest pains and a hard time breathing so her friend called the E.R. and let them know Beth was on her way. It's been a long time since I have been in an E.R., but I always hear of the hours and hours people wait. By the time I had dropped Beth off and went to park and made it back to the hospital (5 mintues), she was all ready being seen by nurses and led into a private room. 15 years of post-high school education does have its advantages I guess.

No comments: