Thursday, November 10, 2005

Code Black & Blue

***Guest Blogger Dr. Crash Kurt***


As many of you know, I am working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Presently, I am taking care of some of the sickest patients on the bone marrow transplant service. Part of my role is to respond to "codes" when someone has gone into cardiac arrest. Because every minute counts, I generally run to these events. Well, yesterday almost changed all of that, as my life practically flashed before my eyes. I was in a full-out sprint, coming around a corner by the nurse's station, when another nurse running to the same code, collided with me. The result wasn't pretty. There I was laid out on the floor behind the nurses station with my head spinning from the impact of the collision. Unfortunately, the incident was witnessed by no less than ten other people, including the attending physician on service. I imagine it was sort-of like watching a train wreck, where you're horrified it's happening, and yet you can't take your eyes away. Needless to say, I never made it to that code, and thank goodness it ended up being a false alarm. (By the way, Joshua, the nurse who apparently is in top physical condition, was unharmed from my tackle.)

Today, at our morning meeting about the patients, Ken, one of the nurse practitioners, explained he had gotten a call from risk management regarding my fall. He stated that they sent over a piece of protective equipment for my use while on the transplant service. Pictured above is my personalized helmet for use on the transplant service. I guess I will never live this down. But just so you know, it's Dr. Crash Kurt to you.

2 comments:

Rich said...

#1. Glad to hear your not hurt. Being that your the surrogate to Amy and Jon's baby Libby...

#2. Are all the nurses at St. Jude's men? Maybe that's why it's St. Jude's and not St. Judy's

Anonymous said...

Praise God that you weren't hurt any worse. You are so precious to our family.

Love
Mom