Friday, March 17, 2006

Oxymoron

Helpful IRS. Yes I know it sounds like an oxymoron. Today I got a letter in the mail from the IRS stating that instead of getting a large refund I actually owed $59. They said that one of us didn't have a social security number and so we weren't eligible for the child tax credit. I figured it was our big goverenment at work and they messed up with Libby, as she is new. Of course I had double checked all of our social security numbers before I mailed in the tax returns. So as usual when I have a problem I call my Dad, but he wasn't home. So I called the 800 number on top of the letter, figuring I would be on hold forever and have to make 20 other phone calls and fill out pages of forms. As I was waiting on hold for about 20 seconds after only having to hit two options (1 for English and 1 for tax refund questions) I looked at Libby's social security card and at the copies of the tax forms I had and noticed I had entered a "7" instead of a "1" for part of her social security number. So when the guy answered the call I explained the situation to him and he had everything fixed within 10 minutes. I don't even have to resubmit anything. He couldn't have been any nicer or more helpful. He even asked how Libby was doing. So I say "Yay" to the IRS.

It was definetly worth my 10 minutes on the phone for the $1800 swing.

1 comment:

Rich said...

So this year the government paid you $1800 to have sex with Beth… Play on Playa…